10 elementary scientific questions on clever computing.
“Can machines suppose?” In his ground-breaking paper “Computing Equipment and Intelligence” printed in 1950, Alan Turing raised this epoch-making query for the primary time. This launched a brand new discipline of Synthetic Intelligence (AI), in addition to folks’s insatiable curiosity about computer systems and intelligence.
Human civilization has now entered a brand new period of intelligence. As computing has grown extra pervasive, society and each considered one of us are deeply embedded within the community of common computing and reap the advantages of clever computing. Vital scientific discoveries and purposes based mostly on clever computing have emerged in lots of necessary areas, resembling the answer of protein folding difficulties, the invention of recent antibiotics, and medical imaging diagnostics using AI, due to the deep integration of machine intelligence, knowledge, and computing methodologies. The development of civilization has been significantly aided by clever computing, and on the identical time, the demand for computing is skyrocketing.
Quite a lot of troublesome points should be resolved with a view to meet the continually rising demand for computing. Computational velocity is restricted by the standard von Neumann structure, computational strategies are challenged by massive knowledge, the computational energy provide is restricted by vitality consumption, and computing useful resource use is restricted by entry expertise… There are nonetheless many points that should be explored and solved, in the meantime, sustainable options should be discovered for the long run.
The Zhejiang Lab and Science have collectively solicited elementary scientific questions with a major guiding position for the long run analysis of clever computing. After a collection of solicitations, shortlisting, and evaluations, 10 questions discovered to be most profound and difficult had been put ahead by a panel of consultants from world wide.
- How can we outline intelligence and set up the analysis and standardization framework for clever computing?
- Is there a unified concept for analog computing?
- The place will the foremost improvements in computing come from, and can quantum computing approach the computational power of the human brain?
- What new devices will be built (transistors, chip design, and hardware paradigms: photonics, spintronics, biomolecules, carbon nanotubes)?
- How could intelligent computing enable intelligent machines?
- How can we understand the storage and retrieval of memory based on the digital twin brain?
- What is the most efficient path to converge silicon-based and carbon-based learning?
- How to build interpretable and efficient AI algorithms?
- Can strong intelligent computing with features of self-learning, evolvability, and self-reflection be realized?
- How can we use real-world data to discover and generalize knowledge?
The 10 fundamental scientific questions in the field of intelligent computing are presented here in the hope that they will enlighten researchers globally. It is expected that scholars and researchers will engage in lively discussions on these 10 scientific questions, jointly promote potential breakthroughs within the questions and technological advances, and contribute to the development of human society.
Reference: “10 fundamental scientific questions on intelligent computing” 14 October 2022, Science.